Phonics Intent Statement
Reading is the heartbeat of our curriculum: it is a core life skill that opens up a world of opportunities. The teaching of phonics is of high priority at Wootton as this is how we teach early reading. Through our systematic, engaging approach, we strive to ensure that all children:
- Blend sounds to read words.
- Learn to segment words to support their spelling.
- Are exposed to a wide and rich vocabulary.
- Become confident and enthusiastic fluent readers and confident writers.
- Are taught by skilled staff with a solid understanding, who provide excellent modelling.